Department Contact Information

Archives
(203) 416-1354

Bishop's Office
(203) 416-1364

Catholic Charities
(203) 416-1329

Cemeteries
(203) 416-1494

Communications
(203) 416-1461

Development
(203) 416-1472

Education
(203) 416-1375

Finance
(203) 416-1615

Parish Finance Services
(203) 416-1435

Pastoral Services
(203) 416-1623

Human Resources
(203) 416-1402 /1403

Safe Environments
(203) 416-1406 /1301

The Diocese of Bridgeport includes more than 460,000 registered Catholics in Fairfield County, Connecticut, representing 45 percent of the total population.

Official Newspaper: The Fairfield County Catholic mailed free of charge to 98,000 homes.

In addition to its 82 parishes, the Diocese sponsors 30 regional elementary schools and 5 diocesan high schools. These schools, along with three high schools directed by religious communities, educate nearly 10,000 youth.

2 Catholic Universities with 11,000 students:  Sacred Heart University and Fairfield University.

The Diocese also sponsors 9 Bishop Curtis Homes for the elderly in Bethel, Danbury, Greenwich, Stamford, Fairfield, and Bridgeport; and a multitude of charitable institutions, including The Cardinal Shehan Center for inner-city children and the Thomas Merton House of Hospitality in Bridgeport; and the New Covenant House of Hospitality in Stamford.

Catholic Charities of Fairfield County, with 25 program offices throughout the county, provides the largest private network of social services in southwestern Connecticut. In 2011, 1.3 million meals served to the hungry; 40,000 counseling sessions.

1 Catholic Hospital, St. Vincent's Medical Center in Bridgeport, Connecticut serving 213,000 patients.

14 Catholic Cemeteries.

The Diocese of Bridgeport was established on August 6, 1953, as an offshoot of the Diocese of Hartford. There have been five Bishops of Bridgeport to date: His Eminence, Lawrence Cardinal Shehan, D.D. (1953-1961; d. 1984); the Most Reverend Walter W. Curtis, S.T.D. (1961-1988; d. 1997); and His Eminence, Cardinal Edward M. Egan, D.D., J.C.D. (1988-2000); the Most Reverend William E. Lori, S.T.D., (2001-2012); and the Most Reverend Frank J. Caggiano, appointed by the Holy Father on July 31, 2013. Bishop Caggiano's installation took place on September 19, 2013.



The Seal of the Diocese of Bridgeport contains the Bishop's mitre and shield.
The latter reflects the name, geography, and See designation of the host city:
a cross; a bridge; and wavy bars, the heraldic representation of water.

Offices of the Diocese of Bridgeport are based at:
The Catholic Center
238 Jewett Avenue
Bridgeport, CT 06606
Telephone: (203) 416-1340
email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)